Old 03-30-2012, 12:13 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Rubber gloves will work, as will gardening gloves -- any glove with a "grabbing" type palm. The biggest problem with rubber gloves is that they don't breathe; therefore, your hands can get quite hot and sweaty inside them. The big advantage of quilting gloves is that the non-gripping portion of the glove is lightweight, stretchable to conform to your hand, and breathable.

They don't have to be gloves, though. If you can get the waffle-type shelf liner (made of what seems like rubber) designed to protect both wood and dishes, you can cut that into two hand-sized pieces and simply place them on top of the quilt. They "grab" the quilt, and you can then apply your hands to them to move the quilt around more easily. This type of shelf liner is sold here in Walmart, Target, etc. Here is a link to a photo of how one quilter cut them to use like this (scroll down the page a little, photo on the left with her Pfaff sewing machine):
http://pinevalley.co.nz/blog/?cat=44

Edit: I tried the finger cots used by secretaries, but they did not work well for me. I think it depends on the type of fingertips you have (mine are small and tapered) and how well the finger cots fit on them (always on the slightly loose side for me). They would easily pop off while I was quilting, which was very annoying.

Last edited by Prism99; 03-30-2012 at 12:24 PM.