View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 08:57 AM
stampinteresa

Well. again I will say it....look, try them out. I went looking in 1994 just for a serger. I loved my Singer of 30 years but it did not like the knits very well so I had heard about sergers. (My daughter was 4 at the time, I think) I made all our clothes and and curtains...if it could be made cheaper; it was.
I aslo worked full-time as a teacher so I knew I could buy it on time. Well, the dealers saw me coming. I did not know machines had gone up so much and had so many features. I ended up buying a new Bernina 1100 (I think) and a serger with tensions knobs 4-- something maybe. I really like them. The dealership was fantastic (1 and 1/2 hours from home) cleaned and serviced it once a year free. Great classes to learn how to use them. Took the samples and notes and glued them into users manual.
Well, 14 months later they came out with the newest lastest and greatest. Both computerized. I made a good deal with the dealers. The sewing machine is Bernina Inspiration 1530 and the serger is I think an 1100DE but not sure. I did not have room to bring both with me to daddys. I spent $5000 and got a great deal on the large 72 x 36 cutting table with mat. I love all of them and never regret trading them up for the 1530 and computerized serger.
They have been part of the family and remain that way. I sometimes think I want an embroidery machine; but would not want a combination. I could not part with this one so I would rather have a separate unit. But I still love hand embroidery so I have been pondering for ten years and have yet to decide and now that I am back to quilting I am looking at the Juki and or Bailley 13 so...I understand the dilema on selecting a new machine. But I recommend Bernina and a reputable dealer. That said good luck. Teresa