View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 11:34 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by ShabbyTabby View Post
All you ladies that have vintage machines....why do you prefer them for making quilts? I have never had a vintage machine so am asking in case I would want to get one,.
Shabby, I agree with Charlee, but want to add that sitting and piecing your quilt or quilting your quilt with a treadle is just therapeutic, - and it is great exercise! These old gals have wonderful stitches and are not the least bit bothered by the thicknesses you are going through. They will sew canvas or doubled flat felt seams like butter. They are just so well made that they will out live us, our grandkids, and great grand kids. The plastic wonders today will be dead, buried, and forgotten for new plastic wonders in 50 years. There is just something very special about using the machines of yesteryear because of the quality of those machines. I prefer treadles, but do use electric vintage too! I also have a couple brand new machines, but I always go for the vintage/antique machine first - those old machines are amazing.

Nancy