View Single Post
Old 03-31-2012, 02:58 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jenniky View Post
"Does the stabilizer go under the background piece or under the cut out design like the flower itself. I used the Heat N Bond ultrahold on the back of those pieces that I Ironed onto my background. I really like what was mentioned about applique on a soft blanket. This is for a blanket for my grand-daughter and would like to not have stiffness that will be uncozy so possibly the heavy starch method might be a good thing.
The stabilizer goes underneath the background fabric, next to the feed dogs. It does not even have to be secured to the background fabric; you can just place a piece of paper underneath your background fabric and sew. The Stitch and Ditch I recommended (if necessary, in addition to heavy starching) is very lightweight and will pull away easily from your stitches afterwards.

Instead of Heat n Bond, you might want to try MistyFuse (and there is another called I think Shade Fuse that is similar). Misty Fuse is a *very* soft fusible that does not add stiffness. It does not come with a paper backing, but that is not a problem as you can simply use a sheet of parchment paper to protect your iron, ironing board, etc. (Parchment paper is inexpensive and sold with other kitchen products such as freezer paper, aluminum foil, etc.). MistyFuse is available on Amazon and eBay; I have not seen it sold locally yet.