View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 05:05 PM
djquilts

I have been on several quilt cruises, with a few different companies. I am going to try to address the above questions. The last 3 I went on were with Worldofquiltstravel.com. Some quilt cruises I have been on were pathetic. The host didn't even show up for one. With another company, I did 2 cruises, but they were carbon copies of everything except the itinerary. Since I have tried World of Quilts Travel cruises, I have found their organization was great, just the right blend of quilting and activity time. Lots of variety, prizes, surprises and special quilter events. Most of all some great quilting time and projects - and fun, can't forget the fun. NO, we were not limited and participated as we wished with onboard activities. Each time, they provide a list of quilt shops in a port where one can go at their leisure during the port time, no one has to sacrifice other siteseeing if they do not want to. On some evenings special quilter (and husbands/companions are welcome) dinners were organized so we could get to know each other outside of class, there is "open sewing" time every day and almost every evening so one can go in and work on projects or something else they brought along. They always provide Bernina or Janome Machines and often, they have a quilt shop set up onboard. Many husbands usually go (and they encourage them by giving a discount), mine has always had a good time. All ships offer onshore excursions and I like to be able to choose what I want to see - rather than have the quilt program provider choose for me. Some quilt cruises say they have tours for you, but they are usually to the local quilt shop, which if one does their own exploring and sightseeing they can still see because they have the addresses. I prefer to have my port time to myself and my husband unless we have met another couple with similar interests. I met three of my now closest friends on quilt cruises, you never know what great things can happen. Yes, I do go a lot, my husband likes to cruise and I like to quilt so it is a win/win. Sorry this was a lot, I guess I hoped to give a perspective from someone who has been blessed by this activity.