View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 08:58 PM
seasaw2mch

Yep I made one and nope it was much longer then an hour even though the stripes were all sewn. I had run out of ideas for new designs for my soldier quilts so I watched the video and figured it would be a great easy one to do. NOT!!!! LOL
First I had to re-figure the length of fabric strips needed to accommodate the 54" x 78" quilt size. Not to hard.
Just take the width of finished strips (my was 2" finished) and divide it by the length, then multiple that by the width of the quilt. Although it came to an uneven number of rows, I just dropped one row off and then deducted that from the the width so I could add a small border.
Then I decided to use up as many scrap pieces as I could from all the soldier quilts I've been doing, again not hard. I think it took me all afternoon sewing them together because I was doing the binding method and of course you know I screwed up a few so I had to take them apart. Who knew I was going to sew backwards and upside down, just to form a long strip. Oh well teaches you to do things a bit slower or become good friends with Mr Ripper, Seam Ripper that is.

Any who, When all that was done I was to tired to start the "Race" so that had to wait until the next day. I got all excited about getting it done in an hour. Got up first thing in the morning and jumped right into it. It was the LONGEST hour I have ever spend on my machine.

No! seriously, that strip of fabric wrapped itself around me and held me hostage for at least 2 hours. I battled it with all I had but there was no controlling it's never ending hold. At one point I think it had a Nelson's strangle hold on me. I'm sure I fought it for 2 hours before I emerged the winner!

So here is what I tangled with. Hope you enjoy it.
Attached Thumbnails march-2012-5-.jpg