View Single Post
Old 09-04-2009, 10:48 PM
OdessaQuilts

One of my passions is buying quilt fabric. I'm never content to just buy FQ's. I need pieces 1/2 yd to 3 yds long! My plan is that I can't die until it's all used up!

The corellary that goes with this statement has to do with a quilt I started for my parents' 35th wedding anniversary, which was in 1986. I started piecing the top together, but had difficulty with about every third block just not being true or square. Nothing I did to those blocks would make them behave, so I researched and started all over. I finally got the top done in time to give them the top only for their anniversary.

Then I started to quilt it (by hand, of course), and since their 40th anniversary was upcoming (the ruby anniversary), I was using ruby colored hand quilting thread. They have celebrated their 58th anniversary this past May and the darn thing has yet to be completed! My mother says she wants to be wrapped in it when she dies, done or not. I told her that since it isn't done, neither of them can die; I mean, it would just be so rude to pass on before I can complete this "masterpiece", right???

My husband thinks that when I die he's just going to chuck it all...either that or pack it all into the casket with me before I'm buried. I'd sure like to know where he thinks all my fabrics, rotary cutters, rulers, mats, threads, sewing machines (I think I have 6 :roll: ) and stuff is going to fit? This fat girl plans to not leave a lot of excess space in the box!!!

b.zang, I love the solution you gave. My problem is that I have 3 daughters, and ONE is a HUGE shoe horse. Shoe boxes are never in supply at our house, they always house her shoe stash! She even has a sign that reads, "Support the economy. Buy more shoes" As quilters I think we can say, "Support the economy. Buy more fabric."