Old 04-03-2012, 06:57 AM
Honchey

Hi, I am currently in North Carolina and internet service is spotty, I will try to send some photos to help explain better.

Doe & Darts is the block I finally got it right. Most of the pieces are individual so keep pins in each so the paper doesn't fall off when handling them.
1. sew T C2 to C1 from the bottom point to the inverted point just to the sewing line...do NOT sew into the seam allowance or past the sewing line. with the needle down at the line turn the piece around then sew several stitches, clip the threads....leave the pins in each section

2.Perforate the paper along the seam so that you can lift the folded over seam "out" . ..finger press the seam open...now slip the paper under the side of the seam butting it up against the threads so that the seam is on top of the paper and laying open & flat over it. this is very important because the paper has to line up with the paper on the other side of the seam for when you add the triangle.

3.Take a pin and stick it thru the bottom point of the triangle piece...Now...hold the joined piece in your left hand...with your fingers holding the seam flat over to the opposite side that you're sewing ...take the triangle with the pin. right sides facing stick the pin thru to the point of the joined piece. This has to be precise...
4. Looking at the triangle stick another pin in the top right point of the triangle...bring it over to the top left point of the joined piece..stick the pin thru to the point on the other side..line up the Longest side of the triangle with the joined piece...sticking a pin thru to make sure the lines are aligned.. do the same with the seam you are about to sew. place a few pins to keep it all in place.

5. Sew the seam from the top to the inside "V" stopping at the bottom point of the triangle. turn the piece around..sew a few stitches...clip the threads...remove from machine.

6. Now the "magic"...Place a pin in the last point of the triangle...fold over the seam of the joined piece...bring the pin from the triangle over to the right top point of the joined piece...adjust & flatten it all and there you have the last seam to be done..pin as you did for the other seam..this time you will sew from the bottom point of the triangle to the outside of the piece...place the piece as if you were sewing it upside down...place the needle a few stitches from the point of the triangle...sew to the point exactly!!! then turn around and sew to the outside edge of the piece.

7. I don't like to fix or backstitch at the point..it creates bumps and distorts the seam for me. I find sewing "to" the point then turning it around leaves a clean "finish" to the "Y" . I finger press and don't press with an iron until the section is finished...it might create a crease where you don't want it.

I keep pins in ever section so that the paper doesn't shift away from where it's supposed to be...and most important is not to sew past the sewing line of where the "Y" seams meet. I call it the point.