View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 11:17 AM
selm

Originally Posted by w7sue View Post
I just finished a quilt that I wanted to do a pantograph on, but I couldn't figure out how - I have only taken one class - and I ended up doing a meander on it with varigated thread and it turned out great (even if I do say so myself). I want to take more classes because, honestly, the longarm quilters that I have met in this area don't seem to be too anxious to help me learn - it's like they think I will be competition - right ?!?!?!? lol I am sure some of the problem is that I just don't know what questions to ask.

I am determined to master this beast - if it takes me until my dying day - lol If I can do it, you can too. I will have faith for both of us. I wish you lived close by so we could learn from each other. .
w7sue - you sound like you are doing a fine job of learning your machine without much outside help. Don't know where you are in Oregon but there will be a Machine Quilters Exposition(MQX) West in Portland this coming October go to this website for info http://www.mqxshow.com/MQX/West/Home/index.cfm . Your (or another) Gammill dealer will be there and the zipper company too. I got a Gammill in '08 and have a part-time business. Like you, I had no one to ask for help. I had my first two customers lined up before the machine was delivered! I had to tell them it would be a while before I was ready to work on their quilts. I did the first one two months later. I did attend classes at MQX East for the past 3 years and learned a lot. Gammill had a video by Linda Taylor that shows the basics of using the machine and her book was very helpful too.
With your positive attitude you'll have that machine mastered in no time.
See my comments about the zipper system it is worth every penny in time and energy savings.

Last edited by selm; 04-03-2012 at 11:20 AM.