Thread: cotton lawn?
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Divokittysmom

I also use Lawn for the things Wildflower discusses. I was also surprised when I saw it in the CT catalogue. However, when you think of the beautiful heirloom dresses made from Lawn,that are still around after over a hundred years.... I am thinking it would hold up just fine for a quilt. However, I do agree I would be concerned about the batting showing thru.
I actually have a quilt that I started from Lawn fabric but never really got 'off the ground' with it. Each square was a different heirloom technique, I was going to 'line' it if you will with a pale pink or blue behind each square just so the batting would not show.
JMHO it just might be an interesting new twist for quilting.

Originally Posted by wildwoodflower12390 View Post
I used to use cotton lawn for heirloom sewing. It is used for shadow embroidery, lacework, pintucks, and French sewing techinques. Fine cotton lawn lends itself to this type of sewing and sews beautiful. It makes beautiful blouses and heirloom baby dresses. Martha Pullen is a well known teacher with many books and patterns to her credit on the technique of heriloom sewing. She has a quilt pattern using these tehniques and it would be more of a christening quilt than a using quilt, in my opinion.