View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Nokie

Default So many questions...where do I start??

I guess I'll just jump in and ask - I've never been accused of being shy

I'm working on my first quilt - it started out as a tie quilt and then I got brave and decided to give quilting a try. OH boy - I took to it like a duck to water - once I started I haven't been able to stop!! I got ansy though - so I'm trying to start quilt #2.

The plan was to make a scrap quilt - I found an ad on Craigslist for fabric - unfortunately - it's not useable for a quilt top (I don't think) as it appears to be old hotel curtain fabric - in navy blue, maroon, tan, and brown. 4 HUGE trash bags of this - all cut into about 4 inch strips. The only thing I could think to do with it was sew some together to add to the batting when I start my next quilt. So - I'm wondering (other than buying fabric - WOW it's expensive!!) are there other places/resources to find fabric? I've bought a few remnants here and there and scavaged some old clothes and sheets from around the house - just wondered if I was missing a good spot for fabric?

I'm in the process of finding a fabric cutting machine - any suggestions? I had the Simplicity Rotary Cutter and took it back as it wouldn't cut worth a flip - I'm researching that now. I'm not so good with a rotary cutter - it's not as easy as those ladies on youtube make it look!!

Ok - there is much more running around in my head to be asked - but I better take it slow I guess - information overload is not your friend!!!

Thanks in advance y'all for your help!