View Single Post
Old 04-05-2012, 06:40 AM
lakekids

I am stalled on it at the moment. I was putting the top together and got side-tracked to work on a T-shirt quilt for my son who is graduating high school this year. I got his top pieced and backing sewed together but not yet layered and quilted.

Then I side tracked again and took apart a top I had made from my dad's flannel shirts. I had pieced the flannel top prior to starting the Orca Bay mystery. I had taken the lazy way out (because I didn't like the colors) and cut 6 X 12 in rectangles. I pieced the 6 inch ends together and placed 5 rectangles per row. I separated each row with a 2 in wide strip of another flannel that I bought. I got it all together and realized that I 'hated', hated, hated' the way it looked. I knew I would never finish it because I couldn't stand it. (Did I say I HATED it?) It has been sitting since I started the Orca bay quilt.

I finally saw a picure of Bonnie Hunter's Smith Mountain Morning quilt done in shirting prints and decided that this would be perfect for the plaid flannel. I decided that I hated the current version more than I hated unsewing. So I took apart the original top and started recutting. I have all the stars finished and I am working on the Courthouse steps blocks. I have had to buy some more flannels to supplement the shirts, since I only had 5 to begin with. I have designed additional borders to make it about twin size. I like this design much better and that will encourage me to finish the quilt.

I will get back to the Orca bay quilt eventually. I will have to quilt the T-shirt quilt first and at least finish piecing the central portion of the flannel quilt. Maybe finish all the pieced flannel borders before going back to the Orca Bay mystery.

Last edited by lakekids; 04-05-2012 at 06:42 AM.