Old 04-05-2012, 07:34 AM
Cre8tvlwyr

I'm sure we all have plenty of fabrics that will pass in a Civil War quilt. Maureen - I did some research on this early on and the quilts actually made during the war itself were pretty colorful. The fabrics actually made during and after the war were dull. The original DJ had tons of brights - blues, reds, greens and yellows and all on a not so dull background. The muslin even looks bleached white, not dull at all. I've kind of mixed mine up because I started with dulls [thanks to my dear friend....ahem.....] and then moved to the more accurate brights. Now I'm not sure how it will all go together. I was hoping to QAYG but until I decide how I'm sashing the blocks I can't really start. I figure if I make the narrow sashing like Jane Stickle did, QAYG would be perfect because you can do individual blocks and not worry about batting under the sashing because the seam allowance automatically fills it in. On the other hand, with so many different color combos, I may need a wider sashing - like Bonnie Hunter used [a storm at sea sashing] - to tie it all together.

My knee is super painful...waiting for an MRI & pluggin along trying to play catch up with the DJ myself... a little more handwork!
Gus