Old 04-05-2012, 11:46 AM
flhomeschoolmom

Ok, I'm good at the CKF diet. My husband's father was a kidney patient, and passed away of renal failure in 2007. I'm going to give you a few pointers so that you can tweak recipes.

1. Instead of using milk in recipes, use Plain Non-Dairy liquid creamer. Works wonders.

A simple dessert that should fit both diets is a gelatin and fruit dessert, just don't use bananas. And top that dessert with Cool Whip, which is dairy free.

2. Cream cheese and cheese are not the same thing as far as a CKF diet is concerned. Cream cheese is allowed where regular cheeses aren't. You could make a homemade cheesecake and make the crust from soy flour.

Also, Betty crocker makes dessert mixes that are gluten free. Most of these would be alright for the CKF diet because they would not contain any whole grains, which are higher in potassium, etc. than plain flours.

3) Gravies, etc. can be made to fit both diets by using cornstarch instead of flour.

You can also do a google search for gluten free sauces and desserts and simply make substitutions for dairy, etc. Somewhere I have a cookbook that we got when we were caring for my FIL. It had some nice recipes in it.

I'll go through my recipe collection tonight and see what I can find that will help you out and I'll post some.

Last edited by flhomeschoolmom; 04-05-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Forgot something