Old 04-06-2012, 04:46 AM
catmcclure

Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
OK, let's see if I can explain this clearly. My spatial skills are poor and I'm in a muddle. I'm planning a disappearing 9 patch baby quilt on which I'd like alternate squares to feature pictures - I've got some great fabric with pictures of cars, trains, planes etc. I've just made 2 test 9-patch blocks, one using the pictures, one with the fabric I plan to use in the alternate squares. Then I realised that when I cut the blocks into 4 and arranged them into the D9P pattern, not all the pictures can be the right way up. I can't for the life of me work out how to correct this. I THINK I have to put two of the pictures sideways facing to the right in the 9-patch block in order to get them in the right direction on the quilt. Is this correct? Or do I do the 9-patch blocks with 2 picture squares and 2 with the other fabric? And if so, how do I place the two fabrics? (The pattern on the non-picture one dosn't run in one direction).
I've stared at this for so long that I can't see it straight any more, so would appreciate some help!
Make your 9 patch with all the pictures/fussy cuts facing the same way. When you cut your 9patch into four sections, DON'T rotate the top left and bottom right sections - SWITCH THEM. You get the exact same block as you'd have if you rotate the top left and bottom right sections, but all block sections remain (as they say in the airline industry) in the fixed and upright position.