View Single Post
Old 04-06-2012, 06:37 AM
MrsBeasley

Default Need help with Tying a Quilt

I've made a 'twister' quilt top using the 3 1/2 inch template, making each square 3 inches when sewn together. I'm very proud of my piecing, and it's my intent to enter it into the fall fair. It would be far beyond my skills to hand quilt around each pinwheel, and I've decided to tie this quilt using crochet cotton. I'm attempting to put an 'X' in the centre of each pinwheel and put the knot on the back. Although my X's look fine on the top, the threads are way out of line on the back. Some of the back stitches are 1/8 inch long, and others look more like 1/2 inch. Is there a tip anyone can offer me? I've worked hard at bringing my needle up straight, but obviously I'm not doing a good job. I even found a large button and used it so my needle would come up straight through the holes of the button, I wound up sewing the thing to my quilt. Ha!
If I Pin it while it's on the frame, then remove it from the frame, and attempt to tie it on my lap would I have more success? Any help anyone can offer will be REALLY appreciated.

MrsBeasley