View Single Post
Old 04-08-2012, 01:44 PM
J Miller

Dan,

Ha ha ha I got a laugh out of your treadle. Clink, clunk, clink, clunk. My #1 treadle did the same thing until I adjusted it.

Nice machine too, but I've never seen one used as a treadle machine. All the ones I've seen before have been electric.

Your treadle probably has a metal pitman rod assembly. Here's how to adjust one if you don't already know. ( At least it's how I adjusted mine.)
You'll need a short flat wide blade screw driver and a wrench. A Crescent wrench is the easiest way to go.

OK, first check out my picture.
A: Rotate the treadle plate till the back of it is as high up as it will go.
B: Put the screw driver blade in the slot of the adjusting screw from underneath.
C: Using the wrench loosen the lock nut (bottom one) that's holding the adjusting screw while holding it with the screwdriver.
D: Unscrew the lock nut and take it off.
E: Remove the ball socket from the treadle plate.
F: Clean it thoroughly.
G: Oil it good and reassemble it.
H: Carefully adjust it so it doesn't clink, clunk, and doesn't bind. You don't want it too tight.
Also when tightening the lock nut the adjusting screw will tighten up to so you have to test often.

Mine had 100 years of solidified oil in it and I simply couldn't tighten it up. Once cleaned I got it so it doesn't clink, clunk when I use it.

The Chinese reproduction pitman assemblies has a spring loaded plunger in the adjusting screw to cushion the ball socket as it moves. I wish the old Singer ones did.

Joe
Attached Thumbnails pitman-nut.jpg