Old 04-09-2012, 04:40 AM
margee

Originally Posted by Mollie'sMom View Post
It looks like the machine on the frame in your link is a Janome 1600. I have quilted on one of these and the machine I used did not have a stitch regulator. It takes a lot of practice to learn how to get your stitches even without a regulator.
I quilted on a Gracie Frame with a Janome 1600 & liked it better than the much more expensive machine on another frame. I think because I was so new at it & I felt I had more control over the Janome 1600 than the real expensive machine. For what I wanted to do it would have been fine. If you only want to do this as a hobby then I would go with the 1600 rather than put a whole lot more money into it. As I found out quilting is NOT a cheap hobby but I still love it. I ended up getting a much more expensive machine with an embroidery unit & a sewing table that the entire table raised & lowered electrically. This was much better for me because of my age. And I can have the table at whatever height I need it to be. And the machine does so much more. If money was no object I would have got the quilting frame too along with the Janome 1600 to use wih it.