Old 04-09-2012, 05:52 AM
Michellesews

Decide on what you want to make. Gather all fabrics and tools you will need. Read the instructions until you are sure you understand them. Now, this is very important....TAKE ONE STEP AT A TIME. ONE! My opinion is that you are being overwhelmed by the magnitude of the entire project...but you know what the Chinese say...a journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step. If you get yourself organized at the beginning, it is only a matter of taking one step at a time. I have a rule I follow, and that helps spur me on to finish...I do not allow myself to begin another project until I have completed the one I am working on. This works for me for several reasons. One...I do not end up with different fabrics and directions for several quilts cluttering up my sewing room, I only have out what I need for that one quilt, it eliminates confusion. Also, that one quilt is all I have to conccentrate on. I clean up, sweep and put away each day when I am finished so that when I go back in...I don't have the mess monster to greet me, which takes away some of the dread of entering the sewing room...chaos and I don't get along well. Another thing that helps me, is I will tell myself, I am going to go in and sew for one hour, unless I feel like sewing longer. Sometimes, after one hour, I am done. Sometimes I end up staying all day and having a great time. Mood has everything to do with it.
Now, go get organized, set yourself up for success! Let us hear from you again...you are missing out on a great adventure and fantastic feelings of self accomplishment...so get on board and take this fantastic ride with us!