Old 04-10-2012, 06:07 AM
flhomeschoolmom

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
Thank you all for your advice. We have been doing fine for a couple of years on the gluten free diet, diabetic diet. The new no salt, very low potassium restrictions are very hard to adjust to. I appreciate all the recipes and advice especially from those of you who have cooked for renal patients.
One quick word of advice on the "no salt", don't use the salt substitues like "no salt" (I think that's the name of it) as it contains a lot of potassium. What my FIL had to use was the Mrs. Dash seasonings because those are simply herbs that flavor foods and not actual salt or potassium. Also, if you must use some salt, use Sea Salt because you can get away with using less of it than regular table salt and it still has a "salt" taste. We would use that when preparing things for special occasions like holiday's, etc. And we would make a note of which items had more sodium, potassium, etc. than others since all of our holiday gatherings are a "pot luck" kind of thing where everyone brings something.