Old 04-10-2012, 08:57 AM
02ba quilter

Default Uses for odd materials

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
My daughter and friend were talking about me making quilts, and the friend offered to give me a whole bunch of fabric. My daughter, who isn't a sewer at all and couldn't tell you what is quilting cottons, corduroy or fleece, said "sure". I picked it up yesterday and there are 3 boxes and 1 huge garbage bag of fabrics. Lots of yardage, a couple of bolts, and smaller pieces, and a wide variety of fabrics - crushed velvet to stretch terry, denim, dressy pants fabric, and about 10 yards of a beautiful navy/cream flowery print that I think has rayon in it. It will take me days to get it all sorted and then washed. What am I going to do with all that fabric that really isn't suitable for a quilt? Some of it still has tags and receipts dating back to 1994! I know rayon will shrink if washed/dried.....is it quiltable? I just can't toss it out.....well maybe the fake fur.....LOL. I can see lots of utility quilts and donation quilts in my future!
I'm so glad someone mentioned autistic quilts. They love different textures and feels. We make them in our club with as many kind of fabrics and textures as we can, using 8 inch squares and lap size. Find a local chapter and those kids will love them. One child loved a jean seam that I had attached and was constantly fingering it. You can add lace, rickrack and anything you can think of that is safe and textured.