View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 12:35 AM
Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations

Default My first floral abstract art quilt

A customer wanted me to create a baby quilt for her and she is a very creative and fun person. She wanted a quilt to reflect her personality to give the new baby their are excepting in their family. All she told me was she wanted black, green, and purple. She did send a few samples of ideas she had in mind and they where all based off pictures or pieces of artwork. With this in mind I found a great picture of a pansy I had and changed it to greyscale and from this picture I hand sketched my template, then added my lines for the shade changes to determine how many shades of fabric I was going to need. The flower was the easy part and trying to decide what to do with the green around the flower is where I stuggled. At first I thought I would surround the flowers with the squiggly green lines but then I was not really adding much to the abstract part so I then added the different blocks around the flower. I then went to town with the freehand quilting and after studying many pictures I just broke the areas down around the flower and filled it with different techniques and used a purple varigated, bright purple and bright green thread. I really had fun doing this quilt. Thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails img_0592.jpg   img_0595.jpg   img_0598.jpg