View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 07:23 AM
Silver Needle

Exclamation

I am interested in making quilts for resale and a former legal secretary so copyright law was important for me to nail down. After extensive Internet research I have learned 1) it is infringement if you make a paper copy and give it to someone else to use. 2) it is infringement to sell a quilt made from a pattern without the creator's permission. 3) the presence or absence of the copyright symbol does NOT negate infringement. It is a simple matter to contact the creator and get permission. I now check with the creator for permission before purchasing patterns. Most have given permission, but some have declined which is their right. I just don't buy their patterns. It was suggested when doing show and tell at a guild it would be nice if you gave the creator of the pattern credit along with the long arm quilter if one was used. 4) A quilt pattern is intended for you to make for your personal use unless stated otherwise. If the creator really wanted to push it and was aware you made 5 quilts from the pattern and gave them to family members it would be infringement. If you kept all 5 at your house for their use it is not infringement. However, I would think this unlikely. 5) I also just learned it is infringement if you donate the quilt. So now I need to contact the creator of the pattern of a quilt made in a class because I intended to donate it for a raffle to benefit our local volunteer fire department. Now I will be asking about this when taking classes. Life is complicated when you try to follow the rules isn't it.