View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 07:44 AM
romanojg

Originally Posted by clem55 View Post
Now, I could call the dealer and get an answer, but so much more fun to get answers here. Question 1.. I have a Janome 9700, do I need to buy embroidery software for the designs I download? If so, what kind? Question 2..When I try to open designs I've downloaded , my PC will tell me they can't open the jef. file exe. without the right file association. I have no idea how to correct this. Actually, I have no idea what it means!!LOL I've never been taught anything technical about computers, just bought one and learned how to send emails and surf the web. You should see all the free designs I have on my PC, and after 1 1/2 years of having the machine I still haven't tried to embroidery anything!
My machine came with a baseline software to save the files in so that I can see them. There is a free program called ERA Universal that is supposed to be a full digitizing program; I'm sure there are others this one sounds really good. I'm going to download it this weekend. If you save your files in something like that you'll be able to see them. The other thing that I suggest is that when you download them create folders like one that says holidays then create a sub folder in it for each holiday and do a save as for the design and name it for what the design is; like Easter Bunny.jef (depending on machine) in the Easter folder; DO NOT change the file extension names. Most designs are named by numbers and then if you can't see them you have no idea what they are. I download all of mine into a folder called Orders and then separate them into their own folder. You should check your area to see if your LQS has a embroidery class that could get you started in the right direction. Good luck with it all.