View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Christine-

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
I took my information from kathleenbissett.com/copyright%article.PDF. And www.quiltingbusine...,among others. I am only trying to do what's right and legal but that's pretty difficult to figure out. Also I do not own a shop in Ames.
Yes, I realize you aren't in Ames... I was explaining that's where I'm from. I love Iowans!

I understand you're trying to do what's right. Kathleen Bissett is in business to sell her patterns. At least 3/4 of her copyright blather is false information. Surprise?

The biggest false statement she makes is where she tries to pull one over on you by saying a quilt made using her pattern is a "copy" of her pattern. Hooey! The quilt is the "end product" not a copy! She has NO CONTROL over the "end product". Kathleen's copyright page is so full of holes it could pass as swiss cheese. "First Sale Doctrine" is the key to the truth. A copyright protects original creative works. The copyright does not extend beyond the work protected. For example, a copyright of a new quilting pattern only protects the actual pattern; the copyright does not extend to items made from the pattern.

Tabberone created a wonderful database to help debunk the myths. Once you separate the myths from the truth it's very simple!
http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/...aftSites.shtml

Last edited by Christine-; 04-11-2012 at 03:45 PM.