View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 04:00 PM
Christine-

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok View Post
Many artists/designers are fighting Tabberone and winning! They can limit what you do after the "first use" doctorine!
Hi! I'd love to learn more, could you share information about limiting the use of a pattern? I'm not sure what you mean by limiting what you do after the "first use" doctrine? A copyright protects original creative works. The copyright does not extend beyond the work protected. For example, a copyright of a new quilting pattern only protects the actual pattern; the copyright does not extend to items made from the pattern. Using the "copyright" as a way to limit the use of a pattern can't be done.

I read the First Sale Doctrine. It's available online for free at government websites. And I read Tabberone's site where she quotes the First Sale Doctrine, and she quotes it accurately. It's accurate information on Tabberone's website, since she literally takes you word for word through the First Sale Doctrine. It's not rocket science after all, it is on government websites for anyone to read.

I think you're talking about a "license", not a copyright. If a designer want to "license" a pattern, that is entirely different than a copyright. Licensing is an entirely different animal all it's own. Copyright is automatic and costs NOTHING when you publish a pattern. Licensing costs mega bucks to get done, but if a designer want to limit a quilter to making, say, 5 quilts then by all means spend your money! Can you imagine the price the pattern would have to be in order to recoup the cost of getting a license?

Last edited by Christine-; 04-11-2012 at 04:15 PM.