Thread: go green
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 07:55 PM
MaryLane

Since I just joined this year, Miriam, I had not seen your story.

I have a "green" story for you. The truth is I didn't think about being green. I thought about making do and keeping my babies warm. It was the mid to late 80s. We didn't have much money. I was in college and we lived in an old house trailer. My husband's family farmed and as a result I drug my children everywhere with me in all kinds of weather.

I always made them coats out of other clothes that someone gave me. One year I made my oldest son a corduroy coat that was lined with flannel. The corduroy came from a jacket someone gave me that had a ripped sleeve. The flannel was from a shirt no one could wear. I used left over batting from projects my MIL did for warmth. The zipper was one I had gotten in a auction box that someone else had taken out of another jacket at some time. My son loved that coat because I left the breast pockets from the shirt on it and they were inside his coat just like the men. He thought he was so grown up in that coat I made from hand-me-downs.

His brother's snow suit was made out of scraps from a jumpsuit someone had made, an old flannel sheet and the same source of batting scraps. I did buy the two zippers for it. That snow suit I know went through at least 4 or 5 babies between me and my sister and I think I still have it here.

Like I said, I didn't know I was green. I thought I was poor and making do.

Small soapbox here. My niece has two sons 15 months apart. She bought all new for the second one because hand me downs "aren't fair." Since she was on public aid, I about went through the roof. It was fair enough for my boys and I never took a dime in assistance. They grew up just fine.

Sorry for that thread drift but we need more making do in this country!