View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 04:41 AM
anita211

The very first thing I learned how to do was make a crocheted rag rug. My long departed grandmother taught herself how to crochet left handed because I am left handed. She patiently taught me, bought me a crochet hook, and gave me my own ball of strips. I happily worked on my little rug until one day she looked over and said, "Nita what are you doing?" I replied I was working on my rug. She then asked, "What hand is the crochet hook in?" I looked down, and it was in my right hand. It was discovered then and there that I was/am ambidextrous. I golf right handed. As do I when I used to play softball, bowl, and anything where you hold something in a hand. I cannot use left handed scissors either.

She taught me just to chain about 18". Then start doing the single crochet stitch. You have to double, and even triple the number of stitches on a turn to make the rug lay flat. It is simple. And to use old clothing from Goodwill, the Salvation Army or any other used a bit place is an excellent place to get the fabric to cut into 1.5" strips.

Anita in Northfield, MN