Old 04-12-2012, 05:30 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Mizkaki View Post
D,

The clutch motors that came on the 31-15 and -20 machines are pretty sturdy motors.

Since it has been sitting for years you can expect a lot of dust in the inner workings. This will
smell and maybe even smoke lightly when first run.

Personally the first thing I'd do is to very carefully check the wiring from the wall plug to the off-on switch and from the switch to the motor.
The motor is probably very dry so will need oil. A drop or two on each end of the main shaft to start. Look for an oil reservoir with wicks, it it has one this needs to be filled and the wicks primed by dripping oiling along their length.
Then I'd take a paint brush and dust off every part of the motor that I could reach.

Cathy
Cathy, I am so glad to hear you talk about the motors on the 31-15's, although, my 31-15 doesn't have a motor, but my 31-20 does. I hope that applies to the 31-20 as well? I haven't had time to clean up either machine because inbetween rain storms, I have been trying to get my annuals all planted and my yard weeded! I haven't even tried to run the 31-20 to see what it does - smoke - don't know yet? I'd really like to convert the 31's back to treadles, but someone lost the pedal on their treadle table when they added the motor! Do you have a pedal that would fit the 31 treadle - I think it is wider than your normal pedal?

Nancy