View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 08:33 AM
GailG

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
For years I sewed on the kitchen table and when I bought this house 14 years ago I finally had my sewing room. I had room for everything and nothing was in anyone's way and no one was in mine and it was great. Funny though, I didn't seem to sew as regularly as I thought I would.

A couple years ago my daughter moved back home and shortly after had my wonderful grandson and now that sewing room is his bedroom and I am back to sewing on the kitchen table. And I sew a little every day.

You know what? I love it! For some reason I like the kitchen table better and I have no idea why. Maybe because it's the hub, maybe because I'm in the middle of my grandson's room and the living room, or maybe I just love my kitchen, or it's right there and I can't wait to finish that project, or a combination of all the above.

Has this ever happened to you?
Same here! For one, my sewing room has become so cluttered with sewing as well as hobby items and home office things that I have to move out to bigger "pastures" to do my big job sewing, like cutting, quilting, etc. I do piecing in my sewing room but then have to move out to the dining area or to my mom's dining room table nextdoor (she is deceased and the house is still intact. Grandchildren congregate there after school until their moms pick them up. Last weekend my sister did her Easter baking in the large kitchen. I use the table for basting the quilt sandwiches and bring over my machine when I have a quilt to topstitch. Don't know how long we will be able to keep the house open, but it really is nice to have it now. Very comforting. We know her spirit is there with us. I'm sure she loves the activity-- especially the baking and sewing....and the little ones getting into her freezer for ice cream!

When I move one of my machines to the dining area here, I am in the center of things going on. Can even look out of the glass sliding door and see the goings on of the neighborhood. In my sewing room I turn on the little TV that is really behind me, but I can listen. While I pin or rip, I can swivel the chair to see what is going on.This is a good time to listen to a spiritual channel. I tune in to EWTN.

I can fully understand why you like being back in the kitchen again. BTW, our DD was here with a child for almost 5 years. What joy and happy memories they shared with us.

Happy Sewing! wherever you are!

Last edited by GailG; 04-12-2012 at 08:38 AM.