View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Brynn

Default My Craigslist hunting finally paid off!

So I am a notorious CL stalker; I have an RSS feed set up to funnel all those lovely machines to my inbox so I can jump on deals, and pass them on to you folks if I can't get them (like that lovely red-eye in a cabinet I found a week or so back). Well, it finally paid off for me today!

The CL ad read "vintage 1930's singer sewing machine" in the midst of a whole bunch of other neat vintage items. My ears perked up at that--you guys know that's a very neat era of machines, and plenty of chance for a FW or, be still my beating heart, the 201-2 I was actually looking for. I sent them a nice email with a picture of a FW and a 201, asking if the machine matched either picture (just in case they couldn't take pictures). Sure enough, about fifteen minutes after that initial email I got a reply with a picture.

Ayup, I'd say that's a 201-2! The seller does have the cabinet, but unfortunately I do not have the room for it. He said to make him an offer he couldn't refuse; I did him one better and made him an offer with a 1 page explanation of why I made that offer. You know, just to try and compress all the haggling and debating into a single email. It seemed to work, because I'm going to pick up my new, slightly battered but well loved baby tonight as soon as I get off of work.

I'm super excited because I've really wanted to have a machine I would be able to restore myself, and I think this bad girl is going to be the perfect candidate. I can't tell if the white spots are paint or chips in the paint, but I'll post pictures tonight. Now I just have to think of a name!