Old 04-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Pennysew

I have the Pfaff 2140 which has been upgraded to the 2170. I purchased it used about 2 years ago. If you plan to use the embroidery attachment, plan on getting some classes. The shop I purchased from offer them free, but if you didn't buy your machine from them, you have to pay. They keep pushing me to buy the embroidery software, but I mostly use my machine for piecing quilts. I did purchase an embroidery design online that I used as a motif on my boot quilt(see my picture). I hooped each boot block and stitched out the design.

I have quilted up to a queen size quilt with straight line stitching and stitch in the ditch. The feet are costly if you want any of the specialty feet like 1/4 inch foot, stitch in the ditch, etc.

I like the IDT which is the reason I bought the machine when I first started making quilts. (This is the built in walking foot which was unique to Pfaff until a couple of years ago.) The 2170 used to be their top of the line machine when it came out. I've talked to a lot of people who have 2170's and have since upgraded to the latest & greatest Pfaffs (they have lots of $$), but still keep their 2170's because they are so reliable. I've not had any problems with my machine. I think my foot pedal needs some adjustment right now, but the machine works like a champ. It even sews over thick denim seams without a problem when I recently hemmed my husband's jeans. I believe the 2170's were made in Germany unlike the newer machines which are made in China. Hope this helps.