Old 04-12-2012, 01:24 PM
miriam
Power Poster

I started out life on some old HC until I got myself vaccinated... Mom quickly let me use the FW. I used a Touch 'n Sew in Home Ec and it turned me off on Singer for a VERY long time. The FW was all we had - when I got married, I bought a used FW and used it until my first born son came along. A friend loaned me an Elna. It was love and no going back at that point. I scraped and scrounged and got a used Elna. I wore it out. I still have it and it is pathetic. When I wore it out I searched for something I liked as well. I used a New Home or Good Housekeeper or something I borrowed. It was ok... Then someone gave me a low end Viking. It was ok... DD fell in love with it and took it when she moved out. sigh. I bought a used low end Viking. It was ok.... A friend wanted a machine so I sold it to her. Somewhere in there I got an assortment of industrial machines. Those are nice if you are doing production. I made tents for about 10 years or so - a machine with a walking foot is very nice. Next I bought a new low end but expensive Janome - electronic. Darn thing didn't do much for me. I about quit sewing. I picked up a Necchi or two at a garage sale some were ok some not... Then I found a Singer 401G in the garbage. It was love. That thing was trashed. But it was love. I searched around and bought a 403 in good condition. It was pure love. It's my go to machine. The Necchi was re-homed. The Janome was re-homed. A lot of water went over the dam. I had to work on that 401 a lot so I learned a thing or two. I've picked up old machines, fixed them up and sold them. Now there is internet and repair information... WOW!!! I can't seem to fix a plastic machine. The others are much easier to work on. I'm over 60 and can't really remember not sewing. Give me a good old vintage machine and I'm happy. I love to tinker with them more than anything. I am amazed at the engineering and the machine work that went into those old machines.