View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 03:03 PM
FroggyinTexas

Follow this idea that a designer can decide what a consumer can do with an item made from his/her design to the farthest conclusion you can think of. Suppose you buy a blue Ford 150--obviously a design owned by Ford--and suppose Ford tells you that you can't haul fertilizer in it. Suppose you design a yard stick with baby skunks printed on it and try to tell those who buy them that they can't put a hole in one end, tie a leather lanyard on it, and resell it?
The idea that someone who designs a raw material can tell the people who buy that raw material and turn it into an end product that can be sold is logically ludicrous. froggyintexas

Originally Posted by nycquilter View Post
so, scissor queen, you're saying that my work is my work and I can sell it even if the designer states otherwise on her pattern?? that seems counter-intuitive to me but I do like the answer. I have also seen patterns where the designer says only 10 (for example) can be sold and if you want to sell more, you need to contact the designer for permission. I tend always to do what they say (I may be oppositional, but am ultimately compliant --8^D )