View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 08:04 AM
Scissor Queen

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
I recently bought a book of craft patterns and saw one that I thought I would like to make and sell on etsy. The book had the usual "copyright" statements and that you needed permission for whatever. I though that this meant pernission from the the pattern designer to make and SELL her item. I contacted the the designer and was told NO I could not sell her item on etsy since she also sells this item.(I could make for personal use) I did not make this item to sell on etsy. Questions- Could I have sold this item at another place since designer would not know?. Should I have made it anyway since copyright rules may not apply? Or could I have altered the pattern slightly and still claimed it as my own design? Comments? I am not exactly sure what the copyright statesment were since I returned the book to Amazon since I was not going to use it.
Copyright aside, did you really think a designer that's selling an item would actually give permission for somebody to sell the same item? If she really doesn't want somebody making and selling her item then she shouldn't have sold the pattern. Once the pattern is sold she relinquishes all control over any product made from the pattern she sold. You can't have your cake and eat it too.