Old 04-13-2012, 08:08 AM
linda8450

I have the top of the line VIking, and several friends have less expensive models. If you are going to be happy with small hoops, limited stich area, then a less expensive machine might suit your needs. I am always so glad I bought the larger hoop capable machine when I sew with my friends! One friend has to format a floppy for her designs, I use a usb stick and I can put several folders full of designs to work on the stick. If you can only stitch the built in designs, or have to hook up the computer, it would limit your use if you want to take it out to visit unless you also can take your computer. I have been sewing since I was 4 and now collect Social Security, and found I want the best (I can afford) of things that will last. I might not need the best cake mix, but I want the best cake mixer! Having traded up many times, I think I would save my money until I could get the best I could afford. Buying a $500 machine will not give you any money for trade up when you are ready to, and I bet it would be sooner than you think once you get hooked on this! It is not an inexpensive hobby, with special threads, stabalizers, tools, so think about how you will progress. Having a starter machine has it's advantages, when you buy the better machine you can have a backup! All in what you want out of the thing, but I would not be happy with only a 4x4 hoop. Just my humble opinion. Linda