Thread: Quilting Modern
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 09:33 AM
quiltgal

Question Quilting Modern

There has been some talk, locally, recently about Quilting Modern! It peaked my interest because I was not sure what was meant by 'Quilting Modern', after all we are doing all kinds of techniques in ways that were not thought of even when I started quilting back in the late 1980s.
But, Quilting Modern! I have looked on line and talked to some of my friends and it seems, to me, that it is a new name for the improvisational piecing (sort of crazy quilting without the bling or lots of embellishment) or piecing without a specific pattern or specific piece shape (no templates), which is not new really. As for the particular fabrics (if it is particular fabric that defines Quilting Modern), we have had solids around for a long time, also hand dyed or screen printed fabrics to add a little extra dimension etc. so that we are not talking about a floral or more traditional commercial print.
Just was wondering, if it is the 20 somethings and 30 somethings that have applied a name to the types of quilting that I have been seeing at the Houston Quilt Show more recently. So in another 10 or 20 years, the younger quilters will think that they are Quilting Modern................