Old 04-13-2012, 10:36 PM
Anna from Oz

Default Thank you

Thank you everyone for your generous response, and thanks so much for the recipes and the sites to look up. Thanks for the tips too, I am sure I saw a post telling me how many ounces are in a can of cherries or something, but I cannot spot that post!

deenatoo What is desiccated coconut?<o></o>
Out here in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">Australia</st1lace></st1:country-region> we buy two types of coconut in the packet. One is shredded which is in shreds about half inch long, and the other is desiccated coconut which is more ground up. Just right to coat lamingtons with as well as to use in cake and biscuit making. <o></o>
<o> </o>
QuiltE I will post the Christmas cake made from the packet carrot cake mix. At the moment I am racing to finish a quilt for a new baby granddaughter, I'm flying down to Hobart on Tuesday to visit her and her parents. I did juggle the recipe a bit, so I will have to work out what the measurements are close to......
<o> </o><o></o>
Mitquilt I hadn’t thought to check out the manufacturers web site. Out here the two brands I have seen in the supermarket are Greens and White Wings packet cake mixes. I think your packet cake mizes are bigger than ours. Maybe your tins of apples and cherries are too.
<o> </o>
Martha T I wonder if the recipes from the <st1:country-region w:st="on">United States</st1:country-region> using our mixes will work the same with your mixes in <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1lace w:st="on">Australia</st1lace></st1:country-region>? Would be interesting to know. By the way, those from the States who wonder.<o></o>
<o> </o>
There isn’t much difference we use metric for measuring now , but I still think in Imperial measuring! There is a slight difference between your tablespoon measurement and ours. It took me a long time to figure out your stick of butter is 4 ounces. http://alldownunder.com/australian-convert/measurement-chart.htm
I have in my mind what to do if your cake mixes in the packets are larger than ours and if the tins of pie apples etc hold more. I just adjust so I get a nice cake consistency.

Regards,
Anna from Oz

<o> </o>
Originally Posted by Anna from Oz View Post
Hello Everyone,
I have baked for over 48 years and didn't buy packet cake mixes, baked everything from scratch.
Recently I came across a Christmas cake using a packet carrot cake mix, tried it with much suspicion, it is delicious. Then on here I saw an apple sauce cake made from a cake mix, thank you, baked that today.

Do any of you have any other cake or slice recipes that can be made using the packet cake mix as a base?
I have googled but haven't found much. These would be a good idea to quickly make when I only have a couple of hours notice of visitors coming.
Thank you Anna from Oz