Old 09-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by sunnyhope
I m not sure i can get either in Norway.
I have looked at HUsquarna emerald 118 but also the 183 which seems amazing but a bit on the pricy side for me.
i have also thought abought singer confidence but some ppl dont like singer.
also elna 5200 i think its called but i m not sure.
Husqvarna sewing machines have a good reputation. The old black Singers were great, but the newer Singers have a very mixed reputation. I think some of the high-end Singers are good, but low-end Singers often get negative reviews. Elnas are similar in that the old Elnas were great, but new Elnas are mixed -- maybe some good higher-end models, but lower-end models may not be as satisfactory as other brands. There are exceptions to every rule, though. Some low-end Singers and Elnas may be decent machines, and some people love theirs.

One thing to keep in mind is that more bells and whistles don't necessarily make a better machine. You need the basics to work very well first -- especially tension. Some of the low-end machines are not good at maintaining an even tension, so you can waste a *lot* of time trying to get the tension right. If you have that problem, it doesn't matter if the machine has 100 fancy stitch patterns; you won't be able to count on them sewing out well. Reliability first, then bells and whistles!

It's a good idea to join http://sewing.patternreview.com/ (it's free) and study the reviews of different sewing machine models there. Look for something available in your area that is within your price range.