View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 11:51 AM
Katia

Default I found the best idea for scrap storage

Well, one of many anyway. I was at Costco the other day and they have a small magazine stand so I always check for quilting magazines. Well, I found a great one. And first off I am in no way affiliated with the magazine publishers or anything like that. Anyway, the magazine is Quilt Your Stash and from the makers of Threads magazine.
http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/...ilt-your-stash

The whole magazine is based on a plan to use up a lot of scraps in a systematic way and also to have them stored so they are more usable. i have not read the whole plan, but it started with pressing all the scraps and cutting them into three specific sizes. She says those sizes play well together. Then you sort them by color, or theme maybe. They will stack easily and take up much less room then the piles of scraps.

Then in the magazine there are 10 projects of quilts and things to use them for. I am thinking that once you had the system figured out you could use them for so much more then just those projects.

I think I might do this with my scraps. I did already go through most of mine folded them up to fit with my fat quarters, plus cut the tinier ones up to do that thing with the adding machine paper tape.

When we were planning to move over ten years ago, I had a tremendous amount of scraps and couldn't bear to toss them. I was not into quilting then at all, and didn't have a rotary cutter. So I cut four inch square pieces out with a paper template. I filled up a whole bin with them. a good size bin. I did make one lap quilt from them and there is not a dent in the bin at all. I had to sew four together and square up each time.

So, anyway, I thought you would all like to hear about this magazine and the great ideas. Some people probably already know about this and do it, but it was new to me.