View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 01:49 PM
pinkberrykay

To add a bit more. I have not signed an agreement to the terms stated on the pattern before I purchased it. Therefore, I am not bound to the stated terms. I also did not agree to the terms by purchasing the pattern. No where on the pattern does it state that by purchasing this pattern I agree to the limited use terms.

Originally Posted by Christine- View Post
I thought I'd add another thought about the difference between a License and a Copyright. When a pattern is published, unless there is a trademark and/or license registered with the government a designer should not print "for personal use only", "you may only use this pattern blah blah times if you plan to create a quilt for sale", "jump up and down on one foot while singing 'Froggy went-a courtin' before using this pattern" or any other such nonsense. The copyright does not extend beyond the work protected, I.e.: the item made from the pattern. Using the "copyright" as a way to limit the use of a pattern cannot be done... although a designer can huff and puff all she wants.

Many designers do this, yes. They look silly, and it's sign to me to buy someone else's pattern. The purchase of the pattern is not a legal "agreement" to abide by the blather printed on the package and the only way to get an "agreement" is to register this "agreement" with the courts before the pattern is printed. And once it's printed, it should contain the trademark symbol or licensing information clearly marked on the product. (When it's a fabric, this mark is placed on the selvage.)