View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 01:55 PM
nstitches4u

Originally Posted by bigsister63 View Post
I recently bought a book of craft patterns and saw one that I thought I would like to make and sell on etsy. The book had the usual "copyright" statements and that you needed permission for whatever. I though that this meant pernission from the the pattern designer to make and SELL her item. I contacted the the designer and was told NO I could not sell her item on etsy since she also sells this item.(I could make for personal use) I did not make this item to sell on etsy. Questions- Could I have sold this item at another place since designer would not know?. Should I have made it anyway since copyright rules may not apply? Or could I have altered the pattern slightly and still claimed it as my own design? Comments? I am not exactly sure what the copyright statesment were since I returned the book to Amazon since I was not going to use it.
I think I would have done the same thing. I won't buy a pattern if I can't use it to make items for sale. The price of patterns is so high that I can't justify buying them to make once for myself and then packing them away. I don't want several quilts made from the same pattern. I like variety. Designers are going to copyright themselves out of business.

When my grandsons were little I bought a Brother Ult 2001 Disney embroidery and sewing machine. The built-in Disney designs were really cute. The boys soon outgrew the cutsie Disney designs and since Disney copyright prohibited sale of any items using the designs, I traded the Brother machine in on a Babylock Esante. It had lots of beautiful designs without strangling copyright issues. I don't think Brother has designs on their machines that have such restrictions now.