Old 04-14-2012, 02:16 PM
Mizkaki

Miriam,

Phil is right. Do clean them cosmetically before you go or do it after you get home. Also don't worry about oiling and greasing them as you can do that at the class. You after all are paying for his time to teach mechanical things not cleaning and dusting techniques.
I saw one person years ago waste most of the last day of class cleaning decals on a very old German hand crank and it still didn't sew since she ran out of time to work on it. I hope she was paying a lot of attention during the 1 1/2 days of the lecture.
Don't get me wrong, he is still teaching on the last 1 1/2 days, just not a lot of straight lecturing. The last 1 1/2 days are to practice what you learned on the first day & a half. You also get to see and learn from the problems that the other students are having on their machines and that can be a lot.

Cathy

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I knew he was the Elna guy. I have 4 old green ones and 3 gray ones. Ok I guess there are only 7 of them. The 3 green ones need the black rubber wheel in the balance wheel changed out and they all need timing and a good cleaning. The 3 gray ones one is a mess.... I tried to fix it about 25 years ago and had no instructions... It might be good for parts. There is one I recently got - don't even know if it works. The other one for sure needs TLC. I will give Ray a big hug just for you. I've been collecting things around here to take along. I messed around in my shop today. Phil built some shelves for me to put machines on. Then he surprised me again this morning. He had taken old counter tops and put wheels on them and put them on the bottom row so I can just pull them out. Isn't he sweet? And he makes scones too. While I was there I started thinking about tools. What tools should I grab. Then yesterday I bought an old cosmetic case (luggage type mirror and all) I was going to put my screw drivers and tools in there to take to the class. But I changed my mind this morning. I put in Qtips, cosmetic pads, nail polish remover, baby oil, vaseline, tooth brush, manicure scissors, baby wipes, make up brushes, tweezers, flossers, and some paper towel pieces, panty liners... blush... (my sister says I need those...) So when one of my machines gets a make over, I'll just get out the cosmetic case and be ready for it. Now I have to figure out where the screw drivers are going to live. I had a very nice tool box and a few years ago someone broke in. It was one of the things they took. They left the tools Phil had in an old sewing machine case and in 5 gallon buckets.

Two more weeks... until Ray's class. I can't wait. AND I have a lot to get ready. Phil just told me I should clean all those machines before I go.