View Single Post
Old 04-14-2012, 03:22 PM
azwendyg

Rhonda,

I like the contests and would love to see them continue. I've gone back and looked at the contest lists several times through the year hoping I'd have something in the works that would fit in, but so far no luck. Even when I've been working on the right type of quilt, it hasn't been the right size, or I'd already posted a picture on the board, or I haven't finished in time. I've been watching closely to see what would be posted this year in hopes that I could plan ahead far enough to get the right type and size of quilt done at the right time to enter. I do a variety of quilts; queen size, baby quilts, charity lap quilts, or wall/art quilts, but usually have a specific purpose in mind so I'm usually pretty set on the size before I start a project. I've got two queen size quilts in the works waiting to FMQ right now, but I think I got excited and posted pics of both those tops before I realized the contest rules. I can certainly understand why contest quilts shouldn't have already been posted though...

I also do quite a few quilted bags and other "accessory" type items. Since they are faster to complete, it's more realistic to think that I could start and finish one of those during a contest period. I know lots of others make these kinds of things too, so maybe a few contests with smaller items might be worth a try again. (I know you had a bag/purse contest last year and I just totally MISSED it.)

I have to say that I have very much enjoyed viewing and voting on the quilts that were entered in the contests though. Please give it another try this year, maybe with a little less restriction, or even just different restrictions. Do you think it would be fair enough to specify either the type or the size, but not necessarily both for a contest or two to see if more people might participate?

Also, having a "beginner" category might encourage more new quilters to enter. Of course then you'd have to define "beginner"... Personally I'd like to see more focus on FMQing on domestic type machines. So many of us are considering, learning, or continuing to develop that skill and I'd love to encourage folks to show more of their FMQ work. (I have TREMENDOUS admiration for hand quilters, but know I'll never have the time to do it, and like so many others, a long arm is just not in my budget.)

I hope some of my ramblings here are somewhat helpful, and most of all, I hope you know I appreciate all you do for this board!!!

Edit: One more thing I wanted to add after seeing your posting that went up while I was typing this one... I know 6 months sounds like a lot of time to know about a contest, but unfortunately it often takes me 6 months or more to finish a large quilt from the planning stages to the finish. I work full-time and can't spend as much time quilting as I'd like. So, if we could have contests planned out a little farther in the future it would help me be prepared to enter.

Last edited by azwendyg; 04-14-2012 at 03:29 PM.