Old 04-14-2012, 11:45 PM
oksewglad
Power Poster

My, My all kinds of critter talk the last couple of days. Oh cute little birdies coming in. DDIL will be getting her chicks pretty soon, too--this batch will be broilers for eating! I usually help her with some of the butchering. She has learned to skin the birds rather than scald and pluck feathers. Works pretty slick if you ask me.

Deer--what a nuisance! FYI they don't like alfalfa (according to our DNR) Yeah right, says the dairy farmer. Were a half dozen in the corn stubble east of the house at dusk last night.

I must tell you all this family tale. Our second son (in about 3 or 4th grade) was barn person one fall evening; about 8:30 he wonders up to the house to call it a day and get ready for bed. Off in the distance beyond the reach of the yard light he sees a kitty-nice fluffy kitty. Our boys all have enjoyed cats and sure here's a nice one to add to the farm's cat population. As he approaches he calls, "Here, kitty, kitty." Kitty turns tail and runs----and sprays!! You guessed it a fluffy skunk. What a smell as he enters the house!! Fortunately not too cold outside yet--I made him strip outside and hang his clothes on the clothes line. Took a bath in vinegar water to help get rid of the smell; and then a bath/ and a shower. And yes he went to school the next day with a note! Good thing it was a small rural school. But if you want to make our nuclear engineer cringe--just say, "Here, kitty, kitty!"