Old 04-15-2012, 05:22 AM
gardnergal970

Wow! One day away from the computer and what a turn in the conversation! I love it. Dubib, when I was a kid, all of my family was hunters...if we didn't get all of our deer tags filled in the fall, we didn't have meat for the winter so I thought I would step up and do my share. I had taken my gun safety lessons and could handle a 22 rifle good enough to help keep the ground squirrel population in check. My big brothers humored me and got out their 30.06 and set up cans on the posts by the woodshed. I listened to all of their instructions and warnings, took aim and fired. I was quickly knocked off my feet from the recoil and there was a hole on the tin roof of the woodshed! I never heard the end of it and I found other things to do besides deer hunting....like helping with butchering chickens. I can still do it if push comes to shove and I can see the benefits of skinning rather than plucking. I did the shinging and the final pin feather search before the chickens got cut up. Mom would do 20-25 chickens a day, a big tub full and a very long, tiring day. I can almost smell it just thinking about it.