Old 04-15-2012, 06:31 AM
QuiltE
Power Poster

Oh yes, Mr.DNR is correct .... deer don't like alfalfa ........... they love it!

It was quite common to see deer grazing in our alfalfa, and that would be while I was on the other side of the field baling! The back of the field bordered on a small bush area with a stream running through it, so they had housing, a bed and water close at hand to the field.

While they are a nuisance, we were never overly-imposed upon by them. In fact, there was just something calming and peaceful in seeing them. At dusk, we'd often go back to that field just to see the deer ... especially when we had visitors.

The crop issues are one thing .... there's a greater "risk" with the deer population to those with livestock, as they can carry disease that can spread to the cattle. And some of that being quite serious concerns.

OKSGlad ... Oh your poor son!! And yes, I'm sure a mention, not only brings back the memories, but he probably even can "smell" it again. UGH!! Hopefully, he can now "laugh" about it some ... and it not just be a "fear factor"!

DublB ... thanks for the further lessons! And as soon as I read, that I "knew" that yes it was square mile! We don't talk "sections" here, but they do in the west, so when JanieW shows up, she'll be right at home with that talk!! Our land here was surveyed in 100 acre lots, and anything larger than that is usually just referred to as the # acres, or three lots, etc. Thanks for the further "lessons" ... so it looks like the owner sits back, and collects his moo-la from all those different leases! And doesn't have any work to do, other than to go to the bank ..... and in this day and age, chances are he gets auto deposits, particularly from the oil guys! We'll look forward to hearing about your results, when you go a'-huntin'-and-a'shootin'!!!

While my family were hunters too, I never really caught the bug! Actually none of the women/girls did ... guess it wasn't the female thing to do. You know, the men went off hunting!!!

Guns were kept handy on the farm for unwanted critters ..... skunk, raccoons, the odd porcupine, and unfortunately there were times we had to use them on a sick cat, dog or cow. Today more so ... Good animal welfare practices dictate that a cow cannot leave the farm unless it is healthy and able to walk on its own onto the trailer. If it is not able to do so, it must be euthanized (drugs or gun). And you don't want to get caught for trying to do otherwise!

Last edited by QuiltE; 04-15-2012 at 06:34 AM.