Old 04-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Iamquilter

Post making tensils and markin your quilts

Originally Posted by kristakz View Post
Does anyone make their own quilting stencils? I hate the idea of buying them - my blocks are seldom standard sizes, and often I'd need to buy a stencil in several sizes in order to do my quilt. So I'm trying to figure out how to mark my own designs on the quilt top. I tried buying some template plastic and cutting that to make a stencil, but it was (I guess) too thick, because cutting an intricate curve was a complete disaster. So, do you have any suggestions for making my own stencils?

I've also tried sewing over paper templates - and I hate having to pull the paper out later.

I'm also having a heck of a time finding something to mark with. I bought a pounce pad today, and that's not too bad, but I'm finding it doesn't always leave a legible line. none of the pencils I've tried are working at all. not sure if it's my fabric colour, or something wrong with the pencils, but unless I press REALLY hard, I get nothing. And they all say to mark lightly.

Any and all suggestions appreciated. I'm getting desperate today.
I got all my stencil material from the hospital and use the burning pencil to cut them, and use the Fons and Porter silver and white to mark all my quilting designs. The Fons and Porter marking pens will erase very easy, you can just rub over the marks after they are quilted or use the eraser at the end of the marking pen. I wouldn't be without them any more.