View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 11:47 AM
Shmersh

Default Can this quilt be saved?

I posted the other day about the first rip I found in the quilt I wanted to enter in a quilt show: it was a fairly easy to fix seam area, easy to disguise. Well, I took the quilt down to my sewing room and was dismayed to find another rip, this one like a snip in the fabric. Not sure how it happened; it's L shaped and about a half inch each side. Here's a link to the problems:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shmersh...7629824237321/

The one solution I've heard was to put a piece of the same fabric under it and stitch it down. I had been thinking some kind of fusible stuff under it. I can't see how this would not leave an obvious repair.

I'm pretty bummed, at least from the standpoint in submitting it to a quilt show. It's the first quilt I designed and completed using design software. I'm going to try to find someone around where I live who has experience with restoring or repairing quilts to see if there's any hope. One thing is the areas are very close to each other. The thought has crossed my mind to put some kind of an appliqué over it, although I don't appliqué and I can't envision anything that wouldn't change the look of the overall quilt adversely. Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks,
Shawn