View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 01:18 PM
Ccorazone

Default grandmothers wedding ring quilt

This is a photo of my grandmother's wedding ring quilt. It is twin size and was pieced in the mid-fifties and not quilted until this past fall.
The story behind the quilt is that upon my grandmothers death the quilt top went to my aunt (my mother's sister). At some point in time while the top was in her position there was an argument about the quilt by two different people. (Not my mother). So in my aunt's anger or her trying to please both parties, she cut the top in half from side to side and gave each party their half. Many, many years later, my sister recieved both halves and she put them away for save keeping. She ask many quilters the best way to put the quilt back together and got many opinions. None of which she thought was a good idea. While visiting her last fall we pulled the top out and spread it out on the floor. I knew exactly how to fix it. I told her my idea and she agreed.
Get rid of the frayed parts by removing them with a seam ripper. Turn one half from end to end and add to the middle of the half where you had removed all of the frayed section. Then as neatly as possible re-build the frayed part on the opposite end. Then finish as you would any other quilt.
As you can see one half has discolored fabric. Obviously one half was better taken care than the other.
Attached Thumbnails img_8466.jpg